The event was a success because of our instructors, staff and volunteers. It is a broad group effort, and we could not pull off this event without the support of multiple colleges and units, including CLA, GPS Alliance, CCE, CEHD, Admissions, Facilities Management, Parking and Transportation and more.
Instructors and volunteers include current students, instructors and staff in all classifications, and former university employees and students who came back to support an event they remembered fondly from their time at the university.
Here Are Some of the People Who Made this Event --
You'll notice that some people wore many hats!
The Core World Languages Day Development Team --
Ellen Buckner, Anna Kaminski, Sara Mackenzie, Margie McGee-Newton, Diane Rackowski & Alaina Witt
They worked on this event all year long
Ellen and Anna recruited most of the instructors, communicated with schools and handled the many administrative details required throughout the year. The end of the event was bittersweet, because it was Anna's last day as a Language Center employee! Margie helped recruit the Welcoming Remarks leaders. Sara recruited and trained all of the Admission Guides. Diane and Alaina updated the website which provides registration for the event and the WLD video.
Our Building Captains & Other Special Support --
Ellen Buckner, Anna Kaminski, Diane Rackowski, Jenise Rowekamp, Keerthana Shankar, Hunter Slack, Stephanie Treat, and Caroline Vang
The people with the walkie-talkies who managed each location
Our Undergraduate Welcoming Remarks Leaders --
Jonathan Prestrud and Nivie Roberts
They co-lead led the remarks to 1100 high school students
Our Classroom Support Techs --
Fatima Babu, Jenny Boe, Alyssa Bonnac, Maya Christensen, Scott Eaton, Jonathan Prestrud, Diane Rackowski, Keerthana Shankar, Caroline Vang, Henry Wahl and Alaina Witt
Provided essential technical support for the Welcoming Remarks and classes throughout the day
Our World Languages Day Instructors --
Talk about Essential! These are the folks who taught the day's classes
- Monica Barbieri: Introduction to Italian: Benvenuti!
- Lydia Belatèche: Les Délices de France: Learn to Eat (and Speak) like the French
- Nels Berge: Introduction to Italian: Benvenuti!
- Jim Bierma: So You Want to Be A Millionaire: How Preparing for College Can Help!
- Martha Bigelow: ¡Wacala!/Yuck!
- Juliette Cherbuliez: From Atheists to Libertines: French Philosophy and the Limits of the Imagination
- Hangtae Cho: The Korean Alphabet in 40 Minutes
- Kate Clements: TandemPlus Chinese Language Exchange
Assisted by Chinese Language Partners: Junhua Chen, Yuyang Fan, Yi-Ju Lai, Sun Li, Zhaoxiang Lin, Xuewu Qin, Jin Stone, Qian Wang, Qingying Xue, and Yufei Zhao
- Cristina Cocchi: Introduction to Italian: Benvenuti!
- Rachael Cullick: How Many Ways Could a Roman Stick Out His Tongue?
- Yuliya Dzhol: Basic Ojibwe
- Mohammed Elmeski: Introduction to Arabic!
- Satty Flaherty-Echeverria: Portuguese for Students of Spanish
- Daniela Goldfine: ¡Bienvenidos a Argentina!
- Abdelkader Hamouchi: Introduction to Arabic!
- Stephanie Hernandez: Dominican Republic Culture Class
- Maria Hofmann: Sweden: From Viking Raids to Rap Music
- Sungok Hong: Holi: Indian Spring Festival of Colors & Come Enjoy Bhangra Dance!
- Minori Inada: Introduction to Japanese
- Ruben Joanem: Haiti: History of Mixed Cultures and Languages
- Marlene Johnshoy: Using Technology to Hunt for Language Treasure
- Bryce Johnson: The Korean Alphabet in 40 Minutes
- Anna Kaminski: The Arab Avant-Garde: From Egyptian Surrealism to Palestinian Hip Hop
- Daniel Karvonen: Survival Finnish
- Beth Kautz: Green Germany
- Keiko Kawakami: Introduction to Japanese
- Betsy Kerr: Parlez-vous franglais? Frenglish through the Ages
- April Knutson: Haiti: History of Mixed Cultures and Languages
- Viviana Limon: Wacala!/Yuck!
- Maxwell LeYang: Hmong Culture
- Chi-ping Li: Instant Chinese
- Qijie Li: Experiencing Chinese Language
- Jacqueline Listemaa: Sweden: From Viking Raids to Rap Music
- Sara MacKenzie: U of M Admissions: The Inside Scoop
- Sidow Mohammed: Introduction to Arabic!
- Brad Neubarth: Big D Deaf: Deaf Culture in America
- John Nordstrom: Sweden: From Viking Raids to Rap Music
- Anna Olivero-Agney: Introduction to Italian: Benvenuti!
- Paul Peterson: Introduction to Icelandic<
- Catalina Phan: U of M Admissions: The Inside Scoop
- Luis Ramos-Garcia: United States Latino Theater: Human and Civil Rights
- Matthias Rothe: A Song, Two Poems, Two Paintings - Messages in a Bottle from Socialist Germany
- Ryan Seaberg: Eureka! The Greek Alphabet and (R)evolution of Writing
- Rachel Sherman Johnson: International Game Time
Assisted by Game Leaders: Carlo Fernandez, Alex Fox, Nivie Roberts, Chris Michaels and Alaina Witt
- Ginny Steinhagen: Bastelstunde! German Arts & Crafts
- Gabriela Sweet: Self Assessment for Chinese, French, German, Spanish and Spanish Immersion Students
- Kenichi Tazawa: The Art of Paper Folding 'Origami'
- Rick Treece: Vive la Rèsistance! The French Resistance in World War II
- Emilie Van Leemput: Nederland, Land Van Tolerantie (Netherlands, Country of Tolerance) & Overleven in Nederland (Survival Dutch) & Wat Maakt Nederland, Nederland? (Dutch Culture)
- Pablo Viedma: ¡España es Diferente!
- Eva Von Dassow: Cuneiform Tablet Demo
- Pei-Cheng Wei: Instant Chinese
- Maria Wentworth: Where in the World Will U Go? Study Abroad as a College Student
- Alex Zeibot: Big D Deaf: Deaf Culture in America
- Yongling Zhang-Gorke: Zhong Gua Hua: Learn Chinese through Popular Songs
- Hanna Zmijewska-Emerson: The Face of Modern Norway
- Zhen Zou: Instant Chinese
- Eva Palma Zuniga: Chilean Culture Class